Friday, January 18, 2013

Because It's Such An Unusual Sight: The Pursuit

Hi friends,

it's been a while since I wrote here, although I have been thinking about it every day, because that's what you do with something you love.

My mind has been occupied with a million other things, most notably and tangibly a very large upcoming international trip,

but more ineffably, the question of happiness.

And the ongoing realization that happiness is something more than the lack of unhappiness, that it really is a land you can visit. I can visit.

I often turn to Paul Simon when I wish to express matters of emotional complexity, because he is the artist I know with the most finely detailed grasp of humanity.

(Look no further than the line, "when something goes wrong, I'm the first to admit it and the last one to know" to prove that. The difference between admitting something and knowing it is a slippery, yet important, idea.)

This one goes out to all of us who see happiness as a rope bridge -- shaking with our steps and yet, obviously, attached to something somewhere.

*


The song: Paul Simon, "Something So Right"; 1973

(I guess this also proves that where it comes to the heart, I am just a sucker for a good glissando.)

Yrs,
AW

inbedwithamywilson@gmail.com