Thursday, February 14, 2013

Clock Strikes Upon The Hour And The Sun Begins To Fade: Love

I started my blog with a post about the Mature Break-Up Song.

In the almost-year since then I've wrestled a lot with the question of what my blog is about and for.

The question slips away when I try to grab it, so I think my blog must be about and for a lot of things.

In the next few weeks I expect you'll be seeing me talk about a few of them just because it's what I'm thinking about because that's what you do around anniversaries.

(Particularly first anniversaries of things you weren't thinking a year ahead about when you started them.)

*

So yes, the mature break-up song was on my mind about a year ago because I was trying to maturely go through a break-up. I certainly would not have thought about it in that way at the time because -- now this is one thing I definitely have learned about "maturity" -- when you are actually being mature in this life you rarely think of it that way.

In fact the times in my life where I was walking around thinking to myself "Oh man I totally got this maturity thing on LOCK. DOWN. right now!" are now universally times when I look back and wonder, "WHAT WAS I THINKING?"

The answer is, that. "I am being so mature about this." Nope, you're not.

*

But the other, and equally important, thing is this: maturity is a journey, not a destination.

A journey of a thousand miles that starts with a single step, and on which you should probably consider singing like no one's listening.

Because if you truly love something let it go, and if it never comes back it was never yours after all!

And women are like tea bags, haha, you never know their strength until you get them into hot water.

Which is important to keep in mind, as no one can make you feel inferior without your permission.

You ever wonder if there's a reason all these phrases are printed on T-shirts and mugs and the inside of Dove chocolate wrappers?

Could it be because they are actually true??

*

So what it comes down to is the combination of, you guessed it, toughness and vulnerability. That's what I think being mature is about.

It's entirely possible that Future Me thinks I am being ridiculous right now but HEY FUTURE ME, I bet you still think this song is the bomb.


The song: Whitney Houston, "I Wanna Dance With Somebody"; 1987

Yrs,
AW

inbedwithamywilson@gmail.com