Saturday, May 11, 2013

Here I Am I'm A Man On The Scene: Version v. Version

Previous Version v. Version:




*

The song: Otis Redding, "Hard to Handle"; 1968

The original. Released posthumously.

The song: Patti Drew, "Hard to Handle"; 1968

The first cover.

The song: The Grateful Dead, "Hard to Handle"

Performed live approximately 90 times between March 1969 and August 1971.

The song: The Black Crowes, "Hard to Handle"; 1990

Breakout single for the group; brought the song to a new generation.

*

I usually try to maintain a journalistic sense of distance when I present Versions v. Version (usually not succeeding very well, but oh well). 

This one, however, poses two questions that for me personally have very clear answers:

- Are you more into rock or soul? (Or if you want to spell it out, guitar or horns?)

and

- What's more compelling to you, male arrogance or female arrogance?

(So for me it's Patti Drew 4eva. But for you it may be different. That's why I do this.

And also to listen to the same great song four times in a row.)

Yrs,
AW

inbedwithamywilson@gmail.com