Friday, July 5, 2013

We Sang Every Song That Driver Knew: More America

Because I've been mulling over American songs this past week, I thought I'd share two more classics of the genre.

Incidentally, they are both in that strange category of "posthumous number one singles" which always bear an undeniable poignancy. (Particularly when you think about the actual content of both of these songs. Personally, I've heard both of them so much over my life that I almost can't hear them anymore. But when I give the same attention to these songs as I would to an entirely new-to-me song, I hear them again for what they are. [Glorious.])

(Previously: Arlo Guthrie, "City of New Orleans"; Kenny Rogers, "The Gambler")

*


The song: Janis Joplin, "Me and Bobby McGee"; 1971


The song: Otis Redding, "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay"; 1968

Yrs,
AW

inbedwithamywilson@gmail.com