Monday, August 5, 2013

We Got The Gift of Melody, We Gonna Bring It Till The End: "Pop"

Things that have happened to me recently:

1. Two viewings in one week of the 2010 future-cult-classic film Burlesque starring Cher and Christina Aguilera.

2. A conversation about the (we would imagine) seductive power of being a DJ and being able to make people dance with the songs you play.

3. A Backstreet Boys concert. (Yes, in 2013. I can't talk about it yet. It's still processing.)

Which has made me think a lot about a few things:

1. Why do I love Cher so much?

2. What is pop music and what does it mean to be interested in it?

3. What, in music, is appealing?

I'm also trying to figure out how to be a person who is interested in pop music and knows a lot about it (mostly by virtue of near-constant immersion in it, and that itself by virtue of an obsessive personality) without being either a) a self-absorbed flake or b) a bitchy know-it-all. Both of those are in me, but that doesn't mean I like it when they show.

In any case, some of these various threads come together in my ongoing fantasy of DJing a super-cool party filled with cool people and killing it with this song, which is a comment on the value of pop music:


The song: *NSYNC, "Pop"; 2001

More soon.

Yrs,
AW

inbedwithamywilson@gmail.com