Thursday, January 2, 2014

And Women Make Mistakes Too: "New Year's Resolution"

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm a little sad that I didn't have more time to focus on Christmas music here when it was seasonally appropriate. There's so much to say! I don't know what any of it is yet, but I guess now I have most of a year to figure it out.

HOWEVER: I do have one more seasonal card up my sleeve. And oh, it's a good one. Get ready.


The song: Carla Thomas and Otis Redding, "New Year's Resolution"; 1967

From King and Queen, Otis Redding's last studio album, and one of my current (and recurrent) favorites. A song like this could easily be cheesy or gimmick-y, but this one really does it for me. Maybe because in my interpretation, it's not actually New Year's at all. It's March or something, and they're just wanting to start over somehow. I like that. I do that sometimes. And why not? A new year can start any time you want it to.

Here's to this one.

Yrs,
AW

inbedwithamywilson@gmail.com