Saturday, April 7, 2012

There Ain't No Doubt Who I'm Talking About: "Kentucky Woman"

Being the generally sort of squishy person that I am, there are very few love songs from which I cannot take SOME kind of lesson or reflection on my own (not all that remarkable, all things considered) life.

Of course, the reality of many love songs is that they are expressly written to be SO general that pretty much anybody could do just that.

(It's my understanding that that's why Pinterest was invented? But I am easily confused.)

BUT there are many love songs that feel very situation-specific and those are usually the best, even if you have no entry into the experience described.

I believe there WAS a Kentucky Woman in Neil Diamond's life, and whoever she was, I hope she enjoyed having a Neil Diamond song about her.

(Wouldn't you?? Look deep into your heart, and that particular truth is there.)


The song: Neil Diamond, "Kentucky Woman"; 1967

I bet she did like it, because whoever this Kentucky Woman was she does NOT seem like the kind of person who would enjoy being the subject of a more typical love song.

I like that about her!

Yrs,
AW