Friday, March 9, 2012

Can't Say I'm Not Alive: "I'm A Bitch"

Let me preface this post by saying that I categorically do not think this song is a truly great pop song. In fact, it is pretty awful--but awful in a sincere, transparent way that--I think--brings it around to enjoyability.

Let me also say that this post would have been a whole lot funnier if I had managed to get it together to post it on International Women's Day, yesterday, as I had idly dreamed might be possible.

But hadn't you forgotten this song exists? And that it is the red-headed stepdaughter of the Empowered Lady Singer era of the mid-nineties? And aren't you, deep down, in some small part of your soul, happy to be reminded of its existence? I hope so.

I would like to eventually write a post about karaoke, and how karaoke moments tend to be somewhat of the frozen orange juice concentrate of life. (The kind in cans, naturally--intense, chunky, often tucked away and forgotten until it is needed. . .)

My own Karaoke Moment related to this song came during my very first professional conference, during which we did karaoke and I witnessed a young lady tackle this song with what can only be called APLOMB. Although I have not seen or spoken to her since, I remain about 30% (non-seriously but significantly, in other words) in love with her.


The song: Meredith Brooks, "I'm A Bitch" (or if you prefer, the radio title "Nothing In Between"); 1997

I would love to hear your Karaoke Moments (perhaps times at which you or someone you know was a bitch/lover/child/mother/sinner/saint/your hell/your dream?) at inbedwithamywilson@gmail.com.

Yrs,
AW