Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I Need Directions To Your Feet So I Can Watch You Walk: "Maps"

Note: This post was amended from its original approximately eight hours after the time of original writing.

(i.e. hey guys! had some more thoughts about this song!)

Tuesday often seems like a pivotal day does it not?

As Tuesday goes, so goes the week.

But sometimes it can be hard to build up enough energy to really attack Tuesday without building up SO much energy that you just want to bust down the doors of your office and run and run and run forever

(in a world where one could accomplish that without wheezing, naturally.)

So here's this song from the bleeding edge of current pop music (the album came out last week, I gather) to control the burn.


The song: Macy Gray, "Maps (Yeah Yeah Yeahs Cover)"; 2012

If you're in an office on this rainy Tuesday, put your headphones in and turn this one up.

And WAIT.

Yrs,
AW

PS (ADDED EIGHT HOURS LATER):

I fear I was remiss in not addressing the original version of this song, which is truly a classic love song at this point. (Hey guys it came out almost ten years ago.)

I mean, when searching around for this song after feeling a sudden craving for it this morning, I found cover versions of it from a WHOLE lot of people.

Also when I was researching this song for this post (I have never been a particular devotee of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, feeling myself to be not quite worthy of it glamour- and world-weariness-wise), I discovered that the "MAPS" in "MAAAA-AAAA-AAA-AAPS" stands for "My Angus Please Stay" and it BLEW.

MY.

MIND.

This song is one of those that proves for me that "indie rock", or whatever you want to call the distinctive sound of today, can be distorted and poetic without tipping over into insufferable pretension.

Sort of like how I really resisted reading Jennifer Egan's A Visit From The Goon Squad because I thought it would be unbearable (the cover art, the accolades, the comparisons to authors I hate), but then I had to read it for a book club and I LOVED it.

For me this song is the A Visit From The Goon Squad of the indie rock world.

(i.e. so much more warm and real than you expected and it knocks you off your feet)


The song: Yeah Yeah Yeahs, "Maps"; 2003