Monday, August 27, 2012

I Refuse To Give Into My Blues, That's Not How It's Going To Be: "King of Wishful Thinking"

Oh, BLOG.

I have been occasionally known to say I am in a relationship with my blog, which is only about 25% a joke.

It's sort of better than conceptualizing it (being single) as being in a relationship with "myself", as some self-help-y folk will tell you to do. Because the thing about being in a relationship with yourself is, you can never get any space! Myself is always there, just breathing down my NECK, waking up in the morning and being like "What are we doing today?" and not being satisfied with the answer "Watching You've Got Mail on AMC and eating microwave popcorn for breakfast at 2pm, duh" like any reasonable person would be.

Being in a relationship with myself is kind of high-maintenance, is all I am saying.

But anyway, this is all a roundabout way of saying that I am pleased with my blog for being able to sustain a little break.

*


The song: Go West, "King of Wishful Thinking"; 1990

I've become fascinated in recent months with the aesthetic of an aesthetic no-man's-land: the 1980s and early 1990s. It's near enough to our current day to be firmly in living memory, yet not far enough away to look "vintage" and "classic".

Some day it will though, challenging as that is to believe. That thought, and the fact that I have a crush on 1980s Prince Charles*, is what sustains this fascination.

I've also become very interested in the concept of aesthetics itself, in what we find appealing and why, and have come no closer to understanding it than anyone else who has tried and probably a lot less close than many. I do know, however, that the eye becomes trained to look favorably on certain things. Like skinny jeans. Those were weird when they first came into being, right? We remember that, right?

I think the question becomes, can you see an object outside of its cultural context and appreciate it for whatever special glow it has, as itself?

Shucks, I'm rambling. I just wanted to share this video, which sums up "dated" and "tacky" -- those jeans -- but which I enjoy greatly.

Thanks blog. See you soon.

Yrs,
AW

*Yep.