Monday, April 22, 2013

So It Makes You Wise To Break The Rules: Exceptions

For some reason, I don't like Smokey Robinson. As a person. Could I tell ya why? Nope. I just don't trust him.

One of those things, I guess. But it's especially strange to me because I would pretty much place my life in the hands of Levi Stubbs.

For all the vague mistrust I have of ol' Smokey (forgive me), I can't deny the man writes a damn good song.

(Previously:

"Ooh Baby Baby"

"The Tracks of My Tears" [Version v. Version]!)

*


The song: Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, "I Second That Emotion"; 1967

From the very first second this song just grabs you by the collar.

. . .and then, unlike most songs which grab you by the collar, this one continues on to be kind of, dare I say, debonair.

I mean, it does take a certain something to pull off the line "if you feel like giving me a lifetime of devotion, I second that emotion" but this song does it. Improbably and wonderfully, which seems appropriate given the topic.

Yrs,
AW

inbedwithamywilson@gmail.com